with Mary Beth Ray
Learn the basics of Sanskrit in this very practical and entertaining workshop for curious yoga practitioners and teachers in training.
You will not be deciphering Devanagari calligraphy. You will learn the sounds of the Sanskrit language in a transliterated Roman alphabet so you can pronounce yoga pose names with confidence and chant with gusto. Find out the one key thing about Sanskrit you need to know as a yoga practitioner. Walk away with a basic understanding of this ancient language from a yoga perspective as well as new insights into the philosophy and mythology of yoga through its language.
Mary Beth developed this workshop in 2009 and has shared it many times since then. It is designed to open a door to deepening your studies in yoga. The workshop covers:
- A Little Sanskrit History
- Mystical Origin
- Modern Linguistic Overview
- About the Devanāgarī Alphabet
- Transliteration and Diacritical Marks
- How to Pronounce these Sounds
- A Word About Translations
- Chants and pose names (ashtanga vinyasa focus)